Scaling Firebase Remote Config Using Kotlin, Cloud Functions, and the Firebase Admin SDK
August 1, 2022 11:00 AM 11:45 AM Room 1
Firebase Remote Config is an essential tool for many teams and applications. Continuous delivery cycles, global releases, device diversity, and experimentation necessitate this type of dynamic parameter delivery.
However, as applications grow, managing and delivering these values becomes more difficult.
In this talk, we’ll explore how we can mitigate these challenges by leveraging Kotlin, Google Cloud Functions and the Firebase Admin SDK. We’ll walk through how to:
- Build a simple Cloud Function with Kotlin
- Notify when Remote Config values change
- Diff and format changes for easier comprehension
- Automatically roll back invalid changes
- Migrate values from testing to production environments
By the end of this talk, you should have several strategies for managing Remote Config values in a growing team and a blueprint for how to improve the monitoring and management of those values.